I am currently working on a re-model as well as a few memes. I hope to be all done by mid September.

This began as a way to organize recipes I found in magazines - much easier than a bunch of papers piling up all over the place! I've also started sharing some of my own personal & favorite recipes.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken soup

This is how I make chicken soup. I don't measure I just throw things in by eye and/or to taste.

5 - 8 pieces of chicken (I use legs & thighs)
3 or 4 celery stalks, cut into bite sized pieces
carrots (I use whatever I have; if it's shredded or baby carrots I use half a bag & cut the babies in half, whole carrots is 3 or 4 cut into bite sized pieces)
1 medium onion, chopped
salt, pepper, onion powder, celery salt
chicken broth (I use the Swanson carton which I think is 4 cups)

Heat oil & a little bit of butter in a dutch oven over medium/medium high heat.
Season chicken with salt & pepper.
Brown chicken, remove from pan.
Heat more oil if needed.
Toss in vegetables, season with onion powder, celery salt.
Cook & stir for a few minutes til onions get colored.
Use some chicken broth, water or wine to deglaze if necessary.
Put chicken back in, add broth.
Just before it starts to boil (when a few bubbles start to pop up) cover & reduce heat to low.
Let it simmer for at least an hour or until chicken is done.

We like macaroni in ours so I usually boil up some small kind of pasta (like ditalini) in a separate pot so it stays firm. I store them separately too.

I serve the soup over the macaroni & grate some cheese over it just before serving.


Looking for kid friendly recipes? Stop by my baby blog Heir to the Hovel.

No comments: